Photography

Photography is a popular subject to study at GCSE level.

Students begin by exploring traditional darkroom techniques such as Photograms and Pinhole photography and then progress to using digital cameras and computer editing techniques.
It is essential that students possess their own camera's as holiday work is integral to the course. 

Art & Design- Photography GCSE

Exam board: OCR
Syllabus: A120/01 – A127/01

Students at Shapwick may choose to study GCSE Photography. This subject like Fine Art is part of the series of endorsements covered by the umbrella title of Art and Design. The student’s coursework will total 60% of the overall marks. The final exam taken in Yr 11 will make up the remaining 40% of the total qualification.

There is a fully equipped darkroom enabling students to study traditional silver print, and learn about using a darkroom. They will also study digital photography using computer software to enhance and modify their work.

Another essential element of the course is the history of photography and students will need to make links to photographers from the past and present in order to put their own work into context; this will also help to provide stimulus and inspiration for their own creativity.